Loblaw Companies Ltd. , recently released its 2021 environmental, social, and governance (ESG) report, the company’s 15th annual report. It highlights progress against Loblaw’s many ESG initiatives and features several new commitments focused on two priority areas: fighting climate change and advancing social equity.
“Loblaw is led by our purpose – helping Canadians live life well – and the responsibility to deliver a positive impact on the communities we serve,” said Galen G. Weston, President and Chairman, Loblaw Companies Limited. “Our leaders and colleagues are passionate about making progress – whether we’re reaching or extending environmental targets, improving leadership representation, charting record giving, or closing in on our goal of feeding one million kids through the President’s Choice Children’s Charity. This report shows how we’re thinking about our ambitious goals and the hard work ahead.”
The 2021 Loblaw ESG Report outlines progress against many company priorities, including:
• Raising and donating a record $96M to research, charities and
not for profits across Canada. through the generosity of our
customers, colleagues, employees and partners.
• Continued progress on reducing our corporate carbon footprint
by 35% from a 2016 baseline.
• Transitioning away from phenol receipt paper.
• Meeting initial representation goals for women in management
• Reaching $1M invested in plastics research and community clean
ups several years ahead of target.
It also highlights several new commitments and actions, including:
• Achieving net-zero emissions by 2040 for Scope 1 and 2, and
net-zero emissions by 2050 for Scope 3. This follows the
company achieving its initial corporate carbon footprint
reduction target, years ahead of schedule.
• Reducing plastic waste by making all control-brand and in-store
plastic packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025.
• Sending zero food waste to landfill by 2030, and over the next
24 months achieve measurable food waste reductions in every one
of its stores.
• Releasing a climate risk assessment guided by the Task Force on
Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).
• Achieving representation goals for the company’s management,
executives and Board of Directors by the end of 2024.
• Deploying an inclusion training program to the company’s
workforce of approximately 200,000 people by the end of 2024.
• Helping feed one million children annually by 2025 through
support for Presidents Choice Children’s Charity.
• Supporting the efforts of LOVE YOU by Shoppers Drug Mart® to
help women stay healthy and safe through improved access to
care by contributing $50 million over the next five years.
• Linking ESG performance activities to the company’s short-term
incentive program, beginning in 2022.